Monday, February 23, 2009

Being a Gentleman, it has it's perks

I was at the store the other day and I opened the door for a middle aged woman. You know, I was being nice, I was being a gentleman. That's what I am. But as she passed through the opening she turned back and said, "I don't need you to open the door for me. I'm not crippled." The words crossed my mind pretty quickly, leaving me standing there with my mouth agape.

What did I do wrong?
Was she serious?
Wasn't I being nice?

I wasn't expecting that from her. Or anybody. But there I stood, trying to sort out those words that the woman had told me. I didn't get it, it confused me. But later, after I bought myself some Sun Chips and Arizona, I noticed that it could have been pride that made her say that. Too much pride in that case. But I will still be a gentleman to the best of my ability.

1 comment:

ees said...

Hey - it's J.P. from Gaia. (:

I hold doors open for people too. I've gotten some confusion but no snarky or snapping replies . . . yet.

I guess that's weird of me though. My dad taught me to be a gentleman despite the fact that I'm a girl.